Thursday, April 15, 2010

An iPad, a media server, and lethargy

So I'm lying in bed last night, reading on my new iPad, when it occurs to me that last nights daily show is sitting unwatched on my media server.

Now, my Mac mini media server serves up video to my ps3, but I know it presently will not serve content to an idevice.

And so, the challenge. Configure media server and the iPad to watch the daily show without getting out of bed.

Now it wasn't long before I found the 2.99 airvideo client...got that..but it needs a server component on the media server. Quickly found a remote desktop app, connected to my Mac, downloaded ithe air video server, set it up..and ouila! Daily show. After basking in my general prowess, I realized that it hadn't really taken all that much to turn any idevice into a tv...with a little bittorrent and media server skill...why pay the cable companies for anything but news and sports?

Cable tv's days are numbered...and I'll be doing an increasing amount of my tv consumption away from the big screen..





-- Post From My iPhone

No comments: